Saturday, November 7, 2009

Why I run...


View on the beach this morning. Nags Head, NC



Why I Run... There are many reasons why I run.

I love the freedom of the open road. I love the the clarity and silence I find in myself by the end of a long run.
I love exploring new places and discovering beauty in unexpected spots. I love it because I could push myself as hard as I possibly could, drag my feet along on tired days, or just run without a thought about my pace. On bad days running is always there for me. On lonely days running is a good friend. On beautiful sunny days I couldn't imagine a better way to enjoy the afternoon. And in the middle of winter the brisk air fills me with life.

I guess running really has become such a huge part of who I am. I couldn't imagine my days without it, and tomorrow at 7:20 when the OBX marathon kicks off I am hoping for the energy to carry me to the finish. It is really an unpredictable experience, but truly one that leaves you changed for the rest of your life.


Some of my favorites...

Why I RUN...

"My philosophy: You never know how far you can go until you go too far. I love seeing just how far the body and mind can be pushed"
- Jen Segger

" Running helps me achieve mental clarity and explore new places at my own pace."- Senja Palonen

"You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming."
-Frank Shorter

"The marathon's about being in contention over the last 10K. That's when it's about what you have in your core. You have run all the strength, all the superficial fitness out of yourself, and it really come down to what's left inside you. To be able to draw deep and pull something out of yourself is one of the most tremendous things about the marathon." - Rob de Castella

No comments: