Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Wine Tasting... Ruevi Barbera d'Alba 2006

Wine of the Week...


Ruvei Barbera d'Alba 2006
$17.99


This week I have been trying to be so good at keeping to a strict diet to cleanse myself of all the toxins that have built up in the winter months. Following a recommended plan, Gittleman's Fat Flush Diet, this program is pure discipline and much harder than I ever would have thought. I didn't realize I had become so dependent on #1- coffee, and #2- carbs/sweets. One week into the two week plan I am off to a great start to getting back on track with my diet, and training for the upcoming 1/2 marathon we are running with Team True Event. So even though this is going against my restricted plan and cleanse I couldn't miss a week of Friday Wine Tasting, which I know you all look forward to at the end of the week, as much as I do. So as the snow is falling down outside the windows here in CT, as it has been all day, my latest red wine discovery is a real treat, that you will just love.


I decided to go with an Italian red, a Barbera d'Alba from Ruvei.

What the experts are saying:

89 pts -Robert Parker

I was really surprised by this wine and I love surprises! This wine has a lot more guts and weight to it then your average Barbera. It has a kind of perfumed/earthy nose that continues onto the palate with understated red fruits and dried spices. I always suggest this wine when someone is having Italian, switch out of your Chianti and try this impressive Barbera you won't be sorry! - Maggie's Staff Pick

Vietti's 2006 Barbera d'Alba Tre Vigne is made in the soft, round style that is typical of the wines of Alba. The wine offers up layers of super-ripe dark fruit, leather spices, smoke and earthiness with awesome textural depth and richness. This pure, generous Barbera should continue to drink beautifully for several years. Anticipated maturity: 2008-2012.Vietti is one of the most historic properties in Piedmont. The estate is best known for its top-flight Barolos, yet in recent years I have been equally impressed with the entry-level wines. These are among the finest wines being made anywhere in Italy. The Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco, which is made from Barolo-classified vineyards, in particular, is one of the great values in wine today.- Wall Street Journal Pick

No comments: